Rice is one of the most basic staples in any diet. It provides you with much-needed carbohydrates to keep your body fueled and full. In the 2019/2020 crop year, 493.13 million metric tons of rice were consumed, up from 437.18 million metric tons in the 2008/2009 crop year. Rice isn’t going anywhere in our diets.
Although it is a popular side dish, there are many meals that use rice as a main dish. This includes the likes of risotto, fried rice, beans and rice, bowls, paella, and more. These cuisines span many continents and delight all types of tastebuds.
While rice can go in many dishes, it can also be prepared in a variety of ways:
- White rice. Perhaps the most traditional, white rice is popular in many dishes due to its mild flavor. You’ll find white rice in Thai, Polish, Chinese, and many other cuisines.
- Brown rice. White rice is the more refined version of brown rice. Brown rice still contains its fiber, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Brown rice also boasts a subtle flavor, making it a great addition to many dishes.
- Cilantro-lime rice. A simple variant of traditional white rice, cilantro-lime rice is packed with flavor. This comfort food is particularly popular in Mexican cuisine.
- Cajun rice. Cajun rice is full of spices, including garlic, celery, onion, and more.
- Asian rice. Asian rice uses jasmine rice and chicken stock to pack in some extra flavor to any Asian meal.
Need help perfecting your next rice dish? Chairmans Foods specializes in producing quality main dishes, sides, entres, queso, soups, and more for retail stores and foodservice operators. Learn more about how we can help you today!
Related: Top Grocery Trends for 2021